Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog has moved in …. Reply To: Hedgehog has moved in ….

Nic

Hi simbo65

As Jan Marie said, It sounds quite normal. Last year a hoglet here decided to build a nest actually inside the, then feeding box. As it turned out, he didn’t actually hibernate, but just used it for sometimes daytime sleeping but also naps between snacking! So I would continue putting food out until well after you are sure no hogs are around, and maybe even leave some dry food out all winter, if you aren’t worried about wasting some of it. I had to change from the food I normally use to kitten biscuits because a rat turned up. I knew the little hog was fairly reliant on the food, so it was important there was something there for him as in the middle of winter there isn’t much wild food around. He took to it with no problems. If it’s dry food, probably change it every couple of days if it isn’t eaten.

Regarding the hog becoming reliant on the food, this would not be a good time of year to cut down, even if you were worried about that. The hogs may have become accustomed to it, and in the run up to hibernation need good food. So as long as it is good nutritious food I would continue as you have been.

Hedgehog