Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Using Pipes on a Feeding Station (to stops Cats!!) Reply To: Using Pipes on a Feeding Station (to stops Cats!!)

Nic

Hi Hal_Chase

Some people have written on the forum before about using pipes as access routes. Personally, I’m not too keen on the idea, because I know that some pest controllers use them to put rat bait in, and wouldn’t want the hogs to think it was a good idea to go down them, for that reason.

I had a cat problem last winter and found that if you made a twisty and at the same time quite shallow approach to the food it kept the cats out, but the clever hog managed with ease.

So I had a box which went – entrance – immediate turn to the left – short narrow ‘corridor’ – double back to the right – short narrow ‘corridor’ – turn left into entrance to chamber for food. A cat managed to negotiate that, so I made the corridors shallower by putting bricks along them, which solved the problem.

Perhaps you could make some sort of similar arrangement outside your box. I think the key is that if the cat is making itself thinner in one direction, it can’t make itself thinner in the other direction at the same time, as well as turning – if that makes sense!

Good luck!

Hedgehog