Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Poo spotted despite builder's mess… Reply To: Poo spotted despite builder's mess…

Hi Nic

On 27 October our smaller hog who’s been a regular all summer visited, ate a hearty meal & hasn’t been back since. The larger one who used Frankie’s kennel disappeared a few days before that & now we’re only visited by long tailed field mice. They appear to be peeing in the food dish judging by the mess it’s in most mornings. Pretty little things but not quite what I had in mind to watch on camera.

Frankie’s lovely friend Nala who comforted me greatly after his death has died herself from poison of some sort, probably antifreeze. Horrible way to die & so sad as she was only a few years old & a beautiful creature with a big personality. Worrying that any poisons are around with so many animals to innocently take them in by accident.

Read alanfrew’s posts & enjoyed his videos, how lovely to have so many hogs to watch every night, hope they stay safe.

Thanks for the help re the pair of big birds who visit, they must be crows. Hilarious to watch them, like a pair of vultures next to the smaller birds who don’t seem to worry about them when they’re trying to balance on the fence.

Will redesign the hog feeder I think, it’s not that easy to put food in & could be better for the hogs too, though I think they’d be happy whatever I put out as long as it had food in!

I Siili still around or has she curled up for winter somewhere?

I cut my escallonia back quite a bit a few weeks ago as it had gone a bit mad & there are lots of new flowers on it, great for any late bees hanging around as I’ve seen them most days buzzing about, couple of wasps too.

Hedgehog