Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings More hedgehogs than usual? Reply To: More hedgehogs than usual?

Nic

Hi theimaginaryduck

Welcome to the Forum.

Less traffic is good news for the hogs, of course – that is until it all starts up again and they’ve got used to it not being there. But could it be that you have changed your habits and are out in the garden in the evenings more?

Now you know there are hogs around, I’m sure they would really appreciate it if you left some water out for them. All day, every day is best. I use large plant saucers – most of mine are 10 inches or more across – hogs are very clever at tipping smaller ones over! Make sure they are not so deep that a hoglet could become trapped.

Also, if you want to offer them some supplementary food, cat/dog/hedgehog food, cat/kitten biscuits are best. No mealworms and no milk as they are lactose intolerant. Also most bird food is not good for them.

Good luck. I hope you continue to enjoy their visits. Happy hog watching!

Hedgehog