Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Spring has sprung, they’re back! Reply To: Spring has sprung, they’re back!

Hi Nic

Grass snake, wow! Not surprised no frogs around, hopefully the snake has moved on to pastures new since your post in July. Not sure what happened to the months in between except I haven’t been on the internet much.

Having put the camera out a few nights recently I’ve seen very small hogs visiting, have experimented with the food dishes to try & get the amounts right as I’d hate a hog to come here & find no grub for them & have finally got it right so there are crumbs & maybe a kitten biscuit or 2 left by morning. I know we’re only supplementing their food but it seems sad to think they trot in the feeder & see an empty bowl. At least one of the tinies is definitely a boy! They visit continuously from about 20.30 until 04.30, revisiting repeatedly until presumably they go home to bed.

I now have no feeders out the front as nobody visited it for so many weeks & it just had vile slugs all over the food in it every morning but there’s always water out there. The back garden has a double feeder near the house & a single feeder at the bottom where the hogs enter the garden. Successfully made both cat proof without anything complicated so apart from the mice the hogs are free to feast in both.

I have Kevin the squirrel visiting & he’s pretty brave coming close for food & eating from the feeder I made him, a racing pigeon who eats from my hand – I know it’s not much of a conquest getting a tame bird to trust me but it feels good anyway. His feral mates think he’s mad.

Hope all is good with you.

Hedgehog