Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Injured Hedgehog Reply To: Injured Hedgehog

Nic

Hi Godiva57

That’s real dedication!

Although sounds typical hog perversely not turn up when you are waiting for it and then turns up as soon as you aren’t!

But seriously, in these circumstances, I normally leave an outside light on so that you can see the hog arriving. In the past I have sat (wrapped up, as it gets quite cold sitting still at night, even in the summer) with my feet off the ground, on a footstool. That way the hogs will sometimes walk right under you, not realising you’re there. But other times I have been waiting indoors (my feeding area is visible from the house) and then quickly nipped out and hoped the hog hadn’t gone too far. (If the hog has a bad leg, maybe it won’t be able to move so quickly?) Having a box (with something to burrow under) ready nearby to put the hog in is useful.

Although one of the most seriously injured hogs turned up during the day (without previous warning) and was not in a fit state to move too quickly. But it might be a good idea to keep an eye during daylight as well, if you can, just in case.

Good luck, but remember you can only do your best. Some hogs are very clever at avoiding being caught, which is really frustrating when you are trying to help them.

Hedgehog