Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog hygiene Reply To: Hedgehog hygiene

Hi all,
I’m new to this and this is my first post.
Apologies if it’s not the correct section.
Bare with me as the text is going outside of the edges.
Here goes.
I have encouraged hogs into my garden over the last few months. I now have 2, one is a big hog the other not as big. They both now sleep in the hoghouse I bought for them. They stay in it all day. They haven’t started hibernation yet as I guess this warm weather is allowing them to plump up.
I checked on the hay I’ve provided for them today. I didn’t wake them. The house has a lid plus plenty of protective covering on top of the lid. My concern is the hay, which was specially bought for hogs. It is looking and feeling rather rank. Also it’s gone very dusty. Is it OK to clean it out and replace it in the evening when they are out feeding? I’m also keen on weighing the smaller hog to make sure it’s above the minimum weight. I read it’s 650gms.
It’s the hay that is my immediate problem. They do prefer it to the leaves I leave out. But I will keep putting the leaves out.

Hedgehog