Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Marking Hedgehogs? Reply To: Marking Hedgehogs?

I enjoy seeing the hogs visiting my garden “VISITING” they are wild animals foraging, mating, exploring – doing what comes naturally to them.

WE are observing them, putting out food to supplement their diet, providing additional nest sites in the hope we can catch a glimpse into their lives and help their numbers. I have named our visitors, having said that I may have 2 huge hogs both of which are called growler, I may have more than one smaller hog called Igor quite frankly I don’t care. I am just happy to see any at all. If over time I can learn to tell them apart great, if not it doesn’t matter, I don’t want to see them covered in graffiti.

If you saw a bird regularly visiting your garden, nesting maybe, you wouldn’t mark it so you could identify it, why is a mammal any different (other than its easier to catch). Please consider carefully before marking them, aren’t they more beautiful without.

Hedgehog