Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

Think that’s awful re marking the hogs, what are people thinking when they do that? Seems not so much about the animals as a sort of twitcher mentality where you get points for spotting them. Very sad. Each hog seems to have individual markings, better to be patient & do it that way I think if it’s necessary to do it at all rather than just celebrate the fact they’re there at all in our gardens & enjoy watching them. Marking them must make them easier to see by those without their welfare at heart & that doesn’t bear thinking about.

We have a very brave/silly/inexperienced young feral pigeon this year who has practically landed on my head every time I put food out for the birds. Today I held my palm out to him/her & when the food I put for it was gone from the top of the post it ate from my hand. Mucky plops & all that but still nice to get so close to a wild bird. Bit like your blackbird, he obviously knows what he wants & is determined to get it. Baby starlings are hilarious & bathe & drink together in an uproarious & incredibly loud way. They’re such an argumentative species aren’t they, use so much energy shouting & pushing & shoving.

Regular visits each night from one particular female hog, she’s very nervous & runs from light & the attentions of a bumptious boy hog! He hasn’t quite given up but I think he might as well. The hog food is still unpopular, but they’re getting a helping hand so that’s all I want to do really.

Has DIgger been back to see you?

Hedgehog