Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Nic

Hi Annie

The camera has been getting a bit beyond a joke now. There were nearly nearly 900 videos for each of 4 nights. Even with my new system, it takes ages to weed out the vast majority which have no hogs on them. I had a backlog of about 700 to weed out which had a hog on them, even if it is just disappearing, or multiple videos of the same hog in the same position! In desperation, I have now made the setting less sensitive – so 2 nights with fewer, but with a lot missed. But I needed a day or two with not so many to try to catch up. The good news is, I finally got a refund for the other camera, so will now have to decide where to get a replacement from.

Sorry there are still no hogs there. It must make things difficult with your eyes being like that. I can see that searching the streets for hogs would be problematical. Trying to explain yourself might prove interesting too, if slightly amusing. ‘I was only looking for hedgehogs, officer – honest’.

Most of the boys from here have gone already. I checked my records for last year and they were mostly not here in September then either. There has just been Rascal and a very occasional other one. Rascal was spending a fair bit of time in the hog boxes between snacks and last night I didn’t see him at all.

The girl who I mentioned before is still missing – she is the one who used to come through the building site garden last year, so if she is still ok, she may have had such a big detour that she didn’t think it worth coming here any more. I hope it is only that and not anything worse. One of the other mature girls is missing as well now, but only for a few days, so far. Digger gave me a fright the other night and didn’t turn up, but she was back again the last two nights. She had taken to running off every time Rascal appeared! She is such a character, I will really miss her when she finally stops visiting.

There is a new hoglet! Quite big already, but smaller than the others. I don’t see the others every night now. Hopefully they are exploring further afield and not getting into too much trouble. I saw one of them last night – amazing how quickly they have grown. That one is nearly as big as one of last year’s hoglets.

Pete Pigeon. Sounds a good name. He sounds a character too. Hopefully makes up a bit for the lack of hogs there. I think the two young wood pigeons here must have taken to roosting in my tree, judging by the mess on the grass underneath. I agree with you about pigeons, seagulls etc. What should we humans expect if so many of us waste so much food and drop it all over the place.

Hedgehog