Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog sexing?? Reply To: Hedgehog sexing??

Hi Vic n Sean,
It can be difficult to sex hedgehogs from a distance. It can be done with a hedgehog in the hand as the males willy is up in tummy area away from the anus. Females bits are closer together. Of course the hedgehog is likely to be rolled up anyway and handling hedgehogs should be left alone unless absolutely necessary. I don’t think body size would be an accurate indicator either.
By the sounds of it you have a good wildlife camera and i think that is your best way to tell them apart.
In the breeding season a male hedgehogs willy is huge so if you get a rear end view you will know for sure. If it doesn’t look like it has three back legs it will be female. I think if you persevere you will get some hedgehog pictures
soon enough. good luck

Hedgehog