Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Defending Hog House and Food Supply Reply To: Defending Hog House and Food Supply

Nic

Hi Hogmeister

I think your first theory worked better for me. The hogs here sometimes appear just after the food has been put out, too, but possibly more often if there has been a refill.

I still have the one mature female visiting. Am slightly worried that she is looking slightly sleeker, and hope she hasn’t had hoglets this late. The two ‘regular’, now large, hoglets are still visiting as well. (I always half hope that they will hibernate before the clocks change.) This time last year there were loads of small hoglets around into the beginning of December. This year I haven’t seen any new ones since this lot, who first appeared in July. A friend, sadly, found a small dead hoglet, recently (no obvious reason). I suppose the only consolation is that it shows the hogs there were breeding and just hope one of it’s litter mates survived.

Good move, getting some posters out, especially with bonfire night approaching. Last year Penny did a brilliant one. I’m sure I must have saved it somewhere, but can’t find it at the moment. I think posters are always worth it, even if, as you say, it only saves one hog who wouldn’t have been saved otherwise.

Hedgehog