Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Weather Watchers Reply To: Weather Watchers

I am beginning to wonder if hogs can actually predict the weather. A few weeks ago they went into a feeding frenzy and were munching their way through 5 dishes of food a night. Since then they have all gradually disappeared with the last straggler finally wandering off to the land of nod a couple of nights ago. This is much earlier than the past couple of years when they were still visiting in November and December. I am also hearing the same story from other keen hog watchers. I just ‘googled’ the winter weather forecast for 2017-2018 and sure enough they are predicting ‘snowmaggedon’ starting next month, with temperatures set to plummet and the worst winter since 2010-2011 when the country was brought to a standstill.

It will be interesting to see if the hogs and the forecasters predictions are right… better stock up on some winter woollies!

Oh yes, and I will still be leaving food out throughout the winter, as the juveniles often don’t start showing up until November and December.

Hedgehog