Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Defending Hog House and Food Supply Reply To: Defending Hog House and Food Supply

Nic

Hi Hogmeister

Good work with the posters. I’m glad bonfire night is over and my remaining visiting female and a hoglet safely arrived here last night.

Those allotments sound brilliant. Really good that they took advice from the local wildlife trust, as well.

I agree with you about the slug pellets. Didn’t know much about them because I wouldn’t even consider using them, but have just looked up on the internet. I quickly found a report of a dead hedgehog – thought to be as a result of these slug pellets. I found the following link.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/RRIronPhosphate.htm

Which seems to be from America. It seems they are considered to be organic – as the substance can be found naturally (but that does not necessarily mean it is safe for animals and wildlife) – but obviously not in such quantity – and because of this, rigorous testing is thought unnecessary. There is, apparently, no distasteful substance to put animals/children off eating it. There are reports of dogs being killed and also possible danger to children.

Hedgehog