Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog autumn juvenile Reply To: autumn juvenile

Hi Stef,
Thanx for your comments but I would like to refer you to page 130 in the book Hedgehogs by Pat Morris. It is, according to the author, ‘white fat’ that is needed during hibernation and ‘brown fat’ is used to warm the body to enable the resumption of normal activity. So your comment about ‘false fat’ is to my mind a bit strange? The author also states on page 132 that ‘once they achieve a ‘safe’ size they can be released during good weather’
However I am not suggesting that we mean to release them, but I would like some advice on helping them to hibernate when they have achieved what is considered a ‘good’ survival weight.
I thank you Vickie for your comments and agree that we have lots left to learn which is why it is important that the advice we are given, be it from a book or an individual needs to be accurate. As you said we are all on the same side here.xx

Hedgehog