Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Some hedgehog videos from my area in Sweden this summer Reply To: Some hedgehog videos from my area in Sweden this summer

Nic

Hi Jens

If you look at the hedgehogs facial features carefully, you will find that you can identify the different hedgehogs by sight. Some of them also have other features which are different, such as spine colour and the skirt (the furry bit underneath the spines). There is sometimes a ‘band’ between the spines and the skirt. It can be very rewarding recognising individual hedgehogs this way. When you get used to looking carefully, it becomes easier. I immediately noticed the hedgehog in your first video clip had dark facial markings which were very striking against the pale fur.

I usually draw a sketch when there is a new hedgehog and my profile picture is a sort of template for this. I find drawing makes me look more carefully at the tiny differences in the shapes of the facial markings, etc. I’m not much of an artist, but still find it helps.

Are the hedgehogs there hibernating now? Most of the ones here are. Just a few left.

Hedgehog