Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Mutant Rampaging Hedgehogs! Reply To: Mutant Rampaging Hedgehogs!

Nic

Hi Penny

Happy New Year to you and all hog lovers.

I still have a well grown hoglet visiting every night. Not sure if you read elsewhere, but first a cat got into the feed box (with similar entrance to your double entrance one, so I thought was fairly cat proof), so I put in an extra temporary partition then the next night hoglet decided to build a nest in there. I was then left with no feeding box and a cat who had decided it liked the hog food which cats don’t normally eat – so no way to ensure hoglet got any food. Since then a friend has made another box for me, with two partitions (one removable for the Summer when the bigger hogs are around). I’m not sure whether hoglet is staying in the nest box over day now, but each night on the cam I see her going in and out of there and the new feed box – now with kitten biscuits in it because a rat also turns up occasionally.

Hopefully the new feed box has solved the problem (for now!) of making sure there is some food for hoglet, but at one point I was wishing she would hibernate so I could have a rest from trying to outwit cats and rats.

No woodmice spotted here recently. Yours sound as if they are spoilt with extra rations of sunflower hearts! Glad to hear Sven is still around. There is a chap here who has lots of white blobs on the back of his neck. Not sure whether he is the local one whose white patches have expanded after moulting or whether he is a visitor, but hopefully time will tell.

Won’t be long now until the hogs start returning from hibernation!

Hedgehog