Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic, i make up my own food for the hedgehogs. Can take up a bit of time but what i make can be fed to adults and juveniles. I don’t need to do separate food when juveniles arrive. It has a crumble appearance once made up.

The main ingredient is vitalin ferret food. That is a dry food, has forty percent protein and is a dry food. I pour hot water on it and leave to soak for a little while and drain the surplus water. and leave to stand. Then i blitz around a tablespoon of dried mealworms and calci worms, not fine but course. Then i add some chicken pate` cat food. Give it all a mix and should end up with a semi moist crumble mix. The course mealworms will clean their teeth hopefully. I do break up the ferret food a bit so as it will mix with the other food.

Have had a lot of success with this food after a lot of trial and error. The mealworm content is not a lot once it is blitz, and do not sprinkle them on the ground. Sometimes i may add a pinch of neutrobal powder just to give it a vitamin “D” boost.

Over the past three nights the hog has been lucky as i had some chicken breast left over. I blitz that and it comes up just nice.

Willpar.

Hedgehog