Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Release Reply To: Release

so – we moved Seb in his house as planned at about 7pm yesterday evening and set up the camera to watch what he did – and he did something very strange indeed! something I have not seen a hog do before, but then they do strange things we don’t understand.
He appeared about 15 minutes later – probably woken by the movement – he had a good sniff around where we had put him at the bottom of the garden and behind the shed. Then he wandered over to a covered dense patch under the rose bushes and against the fence and rolled onto his back, uncurled, and lay there with his legs in the air. I panicked a little, thinking the shock of release might have given him a stroke or heart attack, so tiptoed out to peek at him. He didn’t move when he saw me – just looked at me and made a little noise that filled me with dread. I stepped a little nearer and his curled into his spiky ball, but still on his back. I decided to leave him – concluding he was safe enough from predators whatever his circumstances and perhaps I was worrying unnecessarily and this could be normal for a hedgehog after 6 months of captivity (although I’ve never seen it myself before on release).
He stayed in that position for about 15 minutes and as darkness started to set in, he simply righted himself and shuffled on his way.
I’m intrigued to hear if anyone has experienced this in hogs before – I assume something to do with their strange anointing rituals?

Hedgehog