Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Sad day today Reply To: Sad day today

Nic

So sorry hear about the hogs, Dizzydog. The way I see it, we’re here to share the sad times as well as the good ones, so don’t worry about that. As you say, it is incredibly sad that that a hog can be killed on the road, just like that. Whether they are our visitors or not, they are hedgehogs and we all go to a lot of trouble to try to help them. Each and every hedgehog is precious. I do feel for you – it is always much harder when it is close to home.

Perhaps it is a good time to redouble our efforts to try to get more holes in fences, hedgehog friendly gardens, etc. so that hedgehogs don’t have such a need to cross roads to find suitable habitat. Hedgehog Awareness Week coming up 6th – 12th May would be a good opportunity to try push the message. I came across a good poster on the BHPS site: https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/posters/Find_The_Gap.pdf
There are quite a few posters about various hog related things which you can download.

Probably the last thing on your mind, but it’s worth reporting the 2 poor hogs on the Big Hedgehog Map. It all helps to show the reality of what is happening with the hogs.

Hedgehog