Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Late Hibernating or early breeding ? Reply To: Late Hibernating or early breeding ?

Nic,

Thanks for the reply. I will certainly try the twig, although my camera inside suggests that the bedding has not been disturbed since Thursday, which suggests that either the hog has left the box or it has gone back to hibernating. If the hog was using it as a day nest then it may be that the return to more normal temperatures this week may induce it to return.

I assume that a female hog will scout for a breeding nest first and that finding a suitable location may help her come into heat ? I would also imagine that female hogs would more likely abandon a potential breeding nest if disturbed than a hibernating hog ?

I will probably keep an eye on it for the next week. If there appears to be no activity I’ll open it up next weekend.

Phil

Hedgehog