Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog not survived hibernation Reply To: Hedgehog not survived hibernation

Nic

Hi Sue

So sorry to hear about the poor hog. It must have been very distressing for you to find it. Sadly, hibernation is a dangerous time for hogs even in the years when the weather is better and some will always die, for various reasons. As you suggest, the younger ones are probably at most risk.

I’m assuming that the Gardmans and Dr. Johson pellets are hedgehog foods? I’m not familiar with those brands. Railways can make ideal habitat for the hogs, especially if they have wide edges which are left wild and it’s good that they have lots of gardens to visit.

I hope you have lots of hog visitors and better luck with your hog boxes this year.

Hedgehog