Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Advice on Pond Escape Ramps Reply To: Advice on Pond Escape Ramps

Nic

Hi Alan

I am a bit confused about your pond. You say it is a wildlife pond, which makes me think gently sloping sides for birds, amphibians, hedgehogs, etc. to safely drink/bathe, etc. but then you say it is raised. Does that mean it has straight sides?

I have some small ponds, made out of large plant tubs, which do have straight sides, but I have made a sort of brick staircase inside the side of each, as well as a shallow ‘beach’ area, so that any animal/bird can get out easily. The ‘beach’ area is made of one of those (fairly large) aquatic plant baskets full of stones (standing on more bricks) and the water above that area is always shallow. On a larger scale you could use some sort of larger container in a similar way. One of these ‘ponds’ is sunk into the ground and the hedgehogs often drink from it, but the others are free standing. The hogs probably couldn’t access the free standing ones, but I have included ‘escape routes’ in those as well, just in case and also for the birds.

The following is a link to the garden features page of Hedgehogs Street, which does suggest using chicken wire, but doesn’t mention using a plank as well.
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/helpful-garden-features/

Hedgehog