Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog seen in the morning – could this be a problem? Reply To: Hedgehog seen in the morning – could this be a problem?

Its an interesting consideration. I think the pygmy hedgehog has African origins, and they are very much smaller than their European relatives – as their name suggests – and much lighter in colour. I had thought this was due to their natural habitat and being lighter was more protective for them against the sun and camouflage in the African lighter grasses etc?
I have also been reading that there have been cases of pygmy hedgehog owners ‘releasing’ their pets into the UK – some because of the burden on their busy lives and others thinking they were helping the dwindling numbers of our wild ones! (I know………..)
So could be a hybrid mix going on – but if this is the normal colouring in Sweden, more likely the environmental camouflage factor and longer days etc?

Hedgehog