Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Unusual Behaviour? Reply To: Unusual Behaviour?

Nic

Hi Penny

The male suitor thing is the only thing I can think of that might be keeping Digger away, especially if females are in short supply. But she hasn’t been seen on any of the cams either and she is very obvious even on film. The hogs mostly enter my garden under a gate at the end of the garden, so if a male hog lay in wait he could waylay a female. It has happened before with one of the other females. She was forever getting held up down the end of the garden, but I always did think she was a bit of a one for the boys! Having said that, Digger is usually quite good at putting the boys in their place if she isn’t interested.

So that’s the famous Nagini. She looks really cute, unlike her namesake! That is the worry that the males pester them so much that they don’t have much chance to eat. I often think of the males a bit like Romeos, too, especially the older ones. The way they put their heads down and to the side – they often look quite gentle – unlike their appearance when they are in biffing mode! The younger males on the other hand have no finesse – just barge straight in and consequently usually don’t get anywhere!

That’s really interesting about the moon. Will have to start making a note of moon phases in my notes!

Hedgehog