Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog Sightings Reply To: Hedgehog Sightings

Nic

Hi BoyePeter

Interesting topic, and I can absolutely understand where you’re coming from. There are no doubt some people out there who couldn’t care less about hogs and worse. I don’t know about the survey you mention, perhaps you could give us more information about that. The only one I know about is the one where hedgehogs were voted the nations favourite wild animal, although I suppose it could be argued that only people who like animals would be likely to respond to that.

I suppose it is a question of weighing up the pros and cons. Is it more useful for the hogs, for hedgehog friendly people to know where they are, so they can help them, or (what I have always thought was a very small minority) of people who would seek to do them harm. If people don’t know they are there, they are less likely to make holes in fences for them, improve habitat, etc. The map does also give some idea of the distribution of hedgehogs, which can be used in arguments to get them better resources towards their conservation, etc. – even if it is possible that being wary of entering things on the map, not knowing about it, or not getting round to entering local hogs on it could make a difference. It can never be a perfect tool.

BUT, reasonably cautious or overly protective? Not sure I am wise enough to say!

Hedgehog