Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat New to the world of hedgehogs Reply To: New to the world of hedgehogs

Hi LynnMc,

Your garden sounds like a wildlife paradise for all sorts of animals so keep up the good work.

Stef has given you some great advice on feeding hogs backed up by Nic.

When I first saw my hogs back in 2015, after a long abscence, I gave them mealworms, sunflower hearts & peanuts which I now know are not good for them but thats all I had at the time e.g. the food I give to birds and of course the hogs loved it.

After info from the forum and own research I now give them proper hog food (I give them Wild Things hog biscuits) but also have log piles and a compost heap for them to forage for natural food which is what we all really want them to eat of course (who doesn’t enjoy a nice juicy beetle!).

I have tried wet cat food several times without sucess even when I have put nothing else out. The hogs sniff it but just walk away. I also tried some of the Spikes hog food with the same negative result.

My hogs do snuffle around under the bird feeders looking for spillage which is inevitable but they won’t find too many sunflower hearts or mealworms as the blackbirds and woodpigeons hoover up a lot of what the small birds drop anyway.

Happy Hogging!

Hedgehog