Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

Poor hog on the road, you did the right thing putting the death on the map, sad though it is. Relief it wasn’t Digger or her suitor, you can’t help feeling that. She does have a bit of fun by the sound of it, your safe grass is a good thing, so many creatures will benefit from it.

My borders are at last buzzing with insects, many types of bees & all sorts of tiny flying things & a few butterflies but very few indeed. Birds hilarious as usual but getting a little quieter as the babies get older. Lovely seeing them bathing together being possessive about their portion of the bath!

Hog/kitten food mix continues to be visited by crafty cats getting their paws in & pulling the dish out & somebody else apart from slugs seems to eat some of it as it’s less full on the occasions the cats haven’t been at it. Have such a heavy heart about Frank I can’t bring myself to set up the camera as he used to be on it more than anyone else & watching the playback is difficult. Last time we set it up it didn’t work properly anyway, silly things these cameras can be.

Had a reply from developers which seems to say that there are ecology conditions relating to the development which include everything I asked about, but was worded so it wasn’t easy to understand if that means they’ll be doing it all. I’ve signed up for updates of their ebulletin so we’ll see what it all leads to. Or not.

Tatty is still around, maybe it is his under feathers as you suggest & he’s been a bit over zealous making a nest with them, he certainly would win no prizes in a smart blackbird competition!

Lucky you seeing a fledgling robin, they’re so delicate & very pretty with their well disguised colouring, if they had the red chest they’d be much easier for predators to spot.

We used to have house martins when we lived in the country, artificial nests is a good idea, your home must be a heavenly place for wildlife & you.

Hedgehog