Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

rats?

Home Forums Hedgehog tales rats?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

can anybody advise me how to attract hedgehogs and not rats please? My wildlife camera caught something small eating the food. at first I thought it was a small hedgehog, until I saw the tail! help please.

Could it have been a mouse?
    We get a few but the camera makes them look bigger than they are…..

I hope it was a mouse but I think I would be kidding myself. The size of the food dish gives it away. The creature was about half the size, so would have had to be a big mouse! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Oh dear. I am not sure there is much you can do unless there is a food the hoggies like and the rats don’t.
    Are you using dry food?

Nic

Hi prosecco13

You might like to check out the following post with the link therein.
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/vermin/
    N.B. the inappropriate entry (to the second link post) has since been removed hence the slightly strange sequence of some of the posts.

I have recently had a particularly persistent rat and have currently resorted to supervised feeding – watching from inside the house. I can see the feeding area easily. Rats are usually more sensitive to sudden noises, movement than the hogs are, so it’s usually possible to scare the rat away without scaring the hog away. But if you feed birds, I would recommend you try the route of making sure none is spilt.

Supervised feeding can be very rewarding as you see much more of the behaviour of the hogs than would be captured by trail cams. You probably wouldn’t have to do it for long – if the rat never gets any food it is likely to give up and go elsewhere.

Good luck and happy hog watching!

since submitting this post I have looked closely at the image and it does look like a wood mouse (massive ears for the size of his body). whatever it is it is not a regular visitor.

Nic

Glad to heat it’s a wood mouse, not a rat! Very entertaining little things, although I do find they tend to use up a lot of video running backwards and forwards.

Yes they do move fast. Blink and they are gone. I have one camera taking stills, one taking movies, and one taking both. Quality not good but good enough for me.

I do find wood mice very cute to watch, and we have some in our garden that we catch nibbling food that we put out for the hogs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog