12 reasons why everyone needs to help hedgehogs.
by Henry Johnson, Hedgehog Officer
1. Hedgehogs are cute.
2. Hedgehogs are in big trouble…
We’ve lost a third of all our hedgehogs in the last ten years.
3. They play a vital part in our ecosystem.
4. Hedgehogs are deeply rooted in our culture.
This hedgehog is from an Egyptian tomb and is 3,800 years old!
Hedgehog, ca. 1938-1700 B.C.E. Faience, 1 5/8 x 1 5/8 x 2 13/16 in. (4.2 x 4.1 x 7.1 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund, 65.2.1. Creative Commons-BY
…there’s always Mrs Tiggywinkle too, obvy.
5. Hedgehogs can thrive in towns and cities.
6. And alongside our pets…
7. Hedgehogs outlived the sabre-toothed tiger.
(The ancestors of the modern hedgehog evolved around 20 million years ago, when wooly mammoths and sabre-toothed tigers bounced around.)
8. Hedgehogs are excellent mothers.
9. A baby hedgehog is called a hoglet.
10. Hedgehog footprints look like little handprints.
11. You can make a little house for hedgehogs in your garden.
12. But most of all, people love hedgehogs.
Oscar’s mad for them.
And Brooke’s on board.