Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings I now know where all my hedghogs have gone Reply To: I now know where all my hedghogs have gone

Hi Kim,

So sad to hear your story. I think part of the problem is that it only takes one rogue badger to develop a taste for hedgehog and wipe out large numbers. I don’t know if you have been watching the burrowers with Chris Packham, but the badger expert on the show Chris Cheeseman, has counted the number of worms eaten by a badger in a typical two hour feeding session at a staggering 1300… that equates to over 3kg in weight! It doesn’t take much to work out that if the average hedgehog weighs in at around 1kg, a badger could potentially eat more than one per night! On a more positive note, male hedgehogs tend to travel far afield; some of ours have gone AWOL for weeks at a time and then returned. Also, if they sense that there is a hungry badger in the area they will probably keep well away, so it doesn’t necessarily mean that they have all been consumed.

I don’t want to demonise badgers, they have lived alongside hedgehogs for millions of years, the fact that they are now eating hedgehogs is probably because of competition for ever dwindling food resources and habitat. They are being pushed into closer and closer proximity to each other, as more and more of our green and pleasant land disappears under the digger.

I hope your regulars show up soon, keep us posted…

Hedgehog