Become a Hedgehog Champion
Why become a Hedgehog Champion?
Hedgehog Street is as much about people as it is about hedgehogs. Hedgehog Champions are the people that make it work – you don’t need any special skills to be one, just a bit of initiative and a love for spiny creatures!
Let’s look at the facts…
- Hedgehogs are declining severely in Britain, a third have been lost in urban areas since the millennium.
- Most people live in towns and cities.
- Hedgehogs love suburbia – they can be found in their highest densities here.
- There are half a million hectares of garden in Britain.
- Small changes can make a big difference for hedgehogs
We hope you can see that there’s huge scope for each of us to do something for hedgehogs, even if you don’t have a garden.
1) Do something simple that will make a real difference for hedgehogs
Pledge to make a hole in your garden fence or wall, then once you’ve done it come and map it on the BIG Hedgehog Map.
There is a huge amount of information on this website about these spiny creatures – the UK’s favourite wild animal and one that is sadly in trouble.
You can then access loads of free resources that will help you tell your neighbours and friends about hedgehogs, why they are in trouble and what we can all do to help. Over sixty five thousand people have already joined us.
Hedgehog Street is run by a small, committed group of staff, but it is part of a much wider conservation project aimed at helping our wild hedgehogs. We rely on donations to support this work. Help us fight for hedgehogs.
My Hedgehog Street: the free resources we give you as a volunteer
Once you have registered as a Hedgehog Champion, you will have access to the user-only area called My Hedgehog Street and we will give you access to all of these resources for free:
If you register on Hedgehog Street you will be part of an army of tens of thousands of regular people who have decided to stand up for hedgehogs in their local community.