Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog Fatality Reply To: Hedgehog Fatality

Hi-
That is so sad as it makes me think about a recent situation we had.
On May 20 I caught footage of an injured hedgehog on our night camera. He was dragging his back leg. I managed to stay up till midnight the next evening, but there was no sign of him. Footage showed that he went into our hedgehog house and we got him in the morning and took him to our lovely local vet. He had to have his back leg amputated. After many calls we were advised that the modern way of thinking was to release amputees back in the wild so they could breed.
We followed the instructions we were given and put him back into the hedgehog house at dusk. At 1am he tentatively came out of the box and hobbled off. We have not seen him since and I am gutted that he may not have survived and shouldn’t have been put back in the wild. Your story has made me think the worst even though the local rescue centre said we did the right thing. Does anyone have evidence that 3 legged hedgehogs can make it in the wild?

Hedgehog