Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog how much to feed? Reply To: how much to feed?

Hi dgd17,

How lucky are you!

I wouldn’t be too worried about over feeding hedgehogs out in the wild. Its more of a problem for captive ones held for months. I think they instinctively prefer to forage if they can – but you can imagine that its difficult in very hot and dry weather. With 5 little ones, I expect mother hog is very grateful for a ready supply that supports her growing brood currently and she will need building back up after having a good sized litter!
Ensure lots of water supplied at the same time – and that any wet food especially, is changed regularly, as it will go off very quickly and attract flies that lay eggs in it (disgusting I know!).
You will probably find they will use the food less and less as their independence grows – and you’ll miss them terribly when they stop showing up and start exploring more. with any luck – they will return year after year.

Hedgehog