Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

How exciting to have the female hog back! Maybe by now you’ll have a better idea if Digger’s had any babies this year, if so they’ll add to the worries you have with all these spiky people in your garden.

The only real bit of wildlife I get to see here apart from the zillions of birds is bats. I have a bat detector & sit out on the back step after the light goes & can pick them up on different frequencies meaning different types of bat as far as I know. Have to consult my bat info to see what it says. I can see them tearing about after the night insects, we didn’t used to have them near the house only down the lanes but since last year they’ve been here too.

Something I’ve noticed since the weather’s been so terribly hot is the lack of slugs, hopefully the little beasts have dried up or are more likely staying below ground til things improve up top.

No visitors to the food apart from cats as far as I know, but now you’ve told me there’s not necessarily any poo at the dishes at this time of year I’m not so sure. Someone definitely pulls the dish out to get at it & I’m quite sure that’s a cat.

Glad the building work has ended opposite you, the hogs can settle back into their previous pathways without all the mess to negotiate hopefully.

Whoever is making the mess on your hogs could probably be prosecuted for it, they don’t have any regard for the animals themselves & that’s for sure.

Sparrows in my roof were making some new ones today just in front of the hole they go in & out of – I could hear their babies! Hope exciting things are happening in your garden &that the house martin nests are now all inhabited.

Hedgehog