Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings The perils of trying to predict hedgehogs Reply To: The perils of trying to predict hedgehogs

So the hedgehog box as not been occupied for 11 days. However in the last couple of days, hedgehog food has been disappearing. So it may be that she was pregnant but gave birth elsewhere, and is now starting to revisit my area now that the hoglets are big enough to survive for a few hours on their own. Of course the current hot weather may be forcing mother hogs farther from the nest than they would like in search of water.

Of course there are other explanations – she may have been killed (roads or strimmer, for example, but probably not badgers given the urban setting) and the disappearing food may be another hedgehog (although I have never seen more than one hog at a time), or a cat (although my cat turns her nose up at the hedgehog food, thankfully). The food going was enough inducement for me to order a trail cam, in the meantime I have placed a twig over the entrance to the hog-house, although the view from my in-house camera suggests the nest hasn’t been disturbed at all.

Hedgehog