Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Regular daytime visitor Reply To: Regular daytime visitor

Nic

Hi Rainy

Welcome to the Forum.

I think your vets are right saying to keep an eye on her. However at this time of year, if she is definitely a she, it is possible she has hoglets. (although you would think she would go back to them more often than you describe) They often go out for a nap outside to have a break from the hoglets, especially when it’s hot. It does not sound so much of a worry if she is sleeping amongst vegetation, but if you found her resting right out in the open, or what seems to be like sunbathing, that would be more worrying. Again, though if that happens, take advice from the vet or a hedgehog carer, in case she has hoglets, which you probably wouldn’t want to take her away from. I suppose the other possibility is that she is an old hog.

Many hogs will sometimes walk right up to you (although usually at night) if you stay still, as if they don’t realise you are there. They don’t have very good eye sight and rely more on their sense of smell and hearing.

Re. posting films on here. It is easy if they are somewhere else on the internet – you just put a link on. I don’t have any anywhere else so have never put any films on. You can also put photos on via the home page and you can get video put on
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/my-hedgehog-street/your-hedgehog-videos/

Good luck.

Hedgehog