Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings The perils of trying to predict hedgehogs Reply To: The perils of trying to predict hedgehogs

I wasn’t completely sure which way the hog was facing

Nic,
Yes the hog was lying on her left side with her rear end toward the bottom of the frame; the “kicking“ leg was her rear right one.

After that “contractions” video she went out (presumably to feed) and she returned during the night, rested up during the day and did another set of spasms/contractions the following evening. She left again in the evening but really quite late and from this trip she didn’t return (unless briefly during the night).

I think that if there were babies born in my box, I would see them (or their remains); the camera looks down on the nest from over the entrance hole so when she leaves, there is a clear view into the nest space she has made. I suppose she might remove dead hoglets, but would she bother if all had died and she was about to abandon the nest?

Hedgehog