Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Video footage of our day walker Reply To: Video footage of our day walker

Nic

Hi Rainy

Well done for getting the video on here so quickly. It is really interesting to see the hog. As DwarfHog said, not really possible to tell whether male or female. It spent quite a lot of time doing what I call ‘slinking’ i.e. stretched out long and low to the ground. It is difficult to tell without something to use as a size guage, but I wonder whether it is a comparative youngster. When they get older their heads tend to look smaller in relation to their bodies. But it isn’t always easy to tell with camera angles, etc.

It certainly seems to be quite happy out in the day, and as you say seems ok. Although a bit worrying because it is obviously more at risk if/when it leaves your garden. I do wonder whether it is looking a bit thin, but that might just have been because of the ‘slinking’. But if you have been feeding primarily mealworms, it may not have been putting on weight as it should (if a youngster). It’s possible that’s why it’s out during the day, too, looking for food. Another possibility is that it has been a rescue hog for some reason in the past and isn’t quite so clever at foraging yet so is relying on you for food.

I know it is very tempting because they are so cute, but I would be wary of letting it get too used to you, ie. feeding it when you are near, etc. Whilst we wouldn’t harm them, it is really best for hogs not to become to accustomed to humans. We have heard recently on the forum of a hog being used as a football. But if they are habituated to humans they may become less wary of other predators too.

I’m glad you are getting the hog some hog food. You may need to add a few mealworms to start with and gradually reduce them, because the hog may have become addicted to them. Don’t be too hard on yourself for feeding, mealworms. You can’t know something till you find out and the important thing is what happens going forward.

Like DwarfHog said, it’s a lovely video. The little hog certainly seems to be a character and illustrates, well, how inquisitive hogs are. Good luck with him/her and I hope he/she gradually becomes more nocturnal, but at the same time continues to visit you. Enjoy hogwatching!

Hedgehog