Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Got a sighting…What now? Reply To: Got a sighting…What now?

Great news that you have a hog! You are due for hours and hours of entertainment and a few moments of frustration!
Why not build a feeding station? Plastic crate from Homebase or similar – I have a 32 litre ‘really useful’ one. Cut a hole in one end – big enough for a hedgehog but too small for a cat/Fox. Put food in a Dish furthest away from the hole and in front of the hole – inside the box – put a brick or large stone. This will stop cats putting a paw in to pull food out but will allow the hedgie to limbo in! I put my water dish outside the box but others put them both in together. My hogs regularly take a footbath when they drink! They don’t seem to mind the grit!
It won’t stop a rat or huge slugs from sharing the food but will stop cats and foxes!
Enjoy!

Hedgehog