Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Release site for hedgehog Reply To: Release site for hedgehog

Hi simbo65,

I have heard this mentioned also – and there are mixed opinions – as you can imagine. The male hogs themselves seem to have done a good job historically of mixing up the gene pool as a result of their frequent roaming tendencies I expect – and this has worked out for them for the last 15 million or more years as they still around to demonstrate that. But I also think that the restrictions to access that we continue to challenge them with at an ever increasing rate as we develop / overdevelop and put more roads and traffic in place – will no doubt – be having a negative effect on that too. the flooding we see will also play a part in wiping out colonies (or arrays) of hogs I expect. however – yes – the hog rescue I work alongside is never keen to re-release in areas where there are recognised risks (foxes, badgers, heavy roads and traffic or abuse – which is often why the hogs turn up for help in the first place) so support the re-release in alternative areas where there are already hogs living happily. so I dont think its of huge significance either way.

Hedgehog