Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings I have one in my garden whoopie Reply To: I have one in my garden whoopie

Nic

Hi simbo65

Yes, mummies are probably having babies and hogs are certainly taking part in the usual courtship ‘dances’. They can go on breeding all Summer and as long as the males are around. (Here the males tend to disappear in September.) That’s why there are often small autumn hoglets around, which need help for overwintering.

It’s thought that if they have one litter, they probably won’t have another, although some may if the first one was early enough. But, if a litter fails for some reason or the pregnancy just doesn’t work out, or they don’t become pregnant, they will probably try again. They are not thought to be the best of breeders and by no means all of the courtship ‘dances’ will result in mating, let alone hoglets. Then there is apparently a fairly high mortality rate among the young ‘urchins’ (which is what the tiny babies are called – presumably because their white spines are reminiscent of sea urchins) That means that any hoglets that survive to become independent are extra special!

Hedgehog