Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Just found family in our back garden Reply To: Just found family in our back garden

Nic

Hi Velvet Lady

Really pleased to hear about your family of hogs. Cat food is fine for them, but please don’t feed them mealworms. They love them, but they aren’t good for them, especially the hoglets. Please leave them out plenty of water 24 hours a day, especially in this hot dry weather.

The Big Hedgehog Map can be very slow. Someone else recently thought their hogs hadn’t been entered despite getting an email acknowledgement, but when they went back later, they were there. I think it has become a bit of a victim of it’s own success and takes a bit of a while to catch up with itself. I understand it is due an update soon, which hopefully will speed it up.

The second adult hog may or may not be Dad. They don’t have anything to do with bringing up the youngsters and if they meet up it will only be by chance. It could also be two females or another male. Adult hogs are often very tolerant of hoglets even if they aren’t their own, which I always think is rather endearing. You are so lucky to have hoglets visiting! I hope they continue to visit and that you enjoy watching them.

Hedgehog