Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Just found family in our back garden Reply To: Just found family in our back garden

Nic

Hi Lin

So sad to hear about the little hog. It’s difficult to say how old it would be from the size. It could have been a youngster, but equally if it was a dehydrated or starving hog it could seem smaller. It’s unlikely that your cat would have got it. Sadly, there is a fairly high mortality amongst young hogs, for various reasons. They are much more susceptible to the sort of adverse weather conditions we’ve had recently. Then there’s the possibility of worms, etc.

You might want to report the dead hedgehog to:
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/garden-wildlife-health-gwh/

I would think it is even more important to leave some food out, but especially water. If you are feeding wet cat food, change it daily and don’t leave it out during daylight hours to avoid attracting flies. Leave water out 24 hours a day in case. The flies may have been attracted by the dead hedgehog. If the hogs are sleeping under the barbecue, I wouldn’t put the food there, but you could make a feeding station box. You can either use a pre-made hog box or make your own https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Hedgehog-Street-Hedgehog-houses-instructions-2018.pdf
A nesting box can be used for feeding as an alternative. Otherwise many people use see through plastic storage boxes (underbed ones, I’ve heard are best) and just make a hog sized hole in it for them to get in. You may need to put a brick opposite the entrance to deter cats.

If you find a sick or injured hog you can find details of your local hog rescue from the BHPS 01584 890801. It’s not a bad idea to make contact with one if you are worried, as they will be able to give you advice and it’s useful to know where they are in case you need to get help for a hog quickly at any time. I would be inclined to contact a local rescue before trying a vet.

Glad to hear the map has finally worked! You may want to enter the dead hedgehog on there too it all helps with the wider picture of what is happening.

I know it’s very sad when a hog dies, but I hope it doesn’t put you off. They bring so much pleasure in other ways. I hope the other hogs stay well and that you continue to enjoy their visits.

Hedgehog