Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Just found family in our back garden Reply To: Just found family in our back garden

Nic

Hi Lin

I’m glad to hear the other hogs are back. I can’t imagine what might have caused such an injury, it doesn’t sound like a cat. Their mouths are too small to cause much damage to a live hedgehog, I would have thought.

The only thing is that, as Stef has pointed out to us in the past, hogs often don’t look unwell until they are really bad. So if you can, I would take her advice and get the remaining hogs checked over in case. I would trust her instincts. She’s a long standing hog rehabilitator, so knows what she’s talking about. I’m not sure whether that advice would change in relation to the wound. Maybe difficult to know without seeing it – could it have been caused after the hog died, etc. But, I suppose it’s possible if the poor dead hog was attacked by something the others could have been too and have injuries which could only be seen on close inspection and all sorts of other possibilities.

Perhaps the best thing to do is get contact details of your local carer from the BHPS and have a chat with them about the circumstances – not always easy to get the full picture on here – and take it from there.

Hedgehog