Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales The X Files Cont'd… Reply To: The X Files Cont'd…

Hi William,

The boys round here are constantly brawling, I can’t work out whether it’s just frustration at the lack of females in the vicinity or whether they are in training for some kind of military assault. I am certainly keeping a watchful eye on the garden implements, goodness only knows what would happen if they got their hands on the lawn aerator…ouch!

Having said that, I am very worried about the spiky little devils. They have either been deployed on a mission or there is something even more sinister going on. There has still been no sign of Nagini for nearly a month now and only a couple of days after she went missing, a large, very well fed badger was spotted dead at the side of the road on the way into the village. This is the first badger in over twenty years that I have seen near the village and a very worrying development indeed. I don’t know if it is just coincidence, but numbers visiting have fallen significantly since, down from around ten to just two or three. 🙁 I suppose it could have something to do with the uncharacteristically hot weather or it could be that our next door neighbour is also feeding them now; I know that others on the forum have also reported reduced numbers, so I am trying to stay optimistic.

Thankfully there have been no more sightings of the rat, but that could be down to our new resident raptor, which I believe to be a female tawny owl. Every night for the last week its call has been recorded on the trail cameras, although I can’t imagine any potential meal hanging around for long with all that squawking overhead – I thought they were supposed to be silent hunters! I have read that they do occasionally take hedgehogs, so that could be another reason why they are making themselves scarce.

Glad to hear that you’ve got some hoglets, I have found the odd miniature parcel here and there, so maybe ours too have learned to evade the cameras and hopefully some sharp talons!

I have put together a few clips with the mystery noises in the background. Like I say, I think it is a female tawny owl and another can sometimes be heard answering its calls. Whatever it is, it definitely hangs out high up in the sycamore tree…

https://flic.kr/p/M2FXtQ

Hedgehog