Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Badgers and Hedgehogs Reply To: Badgers and Hedgehogs

I can understand your worry. A couple of months back I had a badger visit my garden a few times over the course of several weeks. I haven’t seen it for several weeks now though. Although while it was visiting the hedgehogs were never caught on camera at the same time, they were around before and afterwards on the same nights. Neither was there any drop in their numbers or activity overall.

This is of course just my own experience and we do know that badgers will attack hedgehogs. Although I believe that badgers do prefer other food.

Is it possible that this could be weather and hoglet related. Maybe mothers aren’t going as far from the nest. Also has anything changed in the area that could have affected the hedgehogs ability to get to your garden?

Finally depending on how you are putting out a camera, or cameras, you may just be missing them. But I suspect from your post that actually any food isn’t being eaten as well?

Hedgehog