Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Overnight boarder and tics Reply To: Overnight boarder and tics

Nic

Hi simbo65

Sorry your question seems to have slipped through the net and slipped down the list – I don’t know where everyone is! I’m sure someone else could answered this particular question better than me, but I’ll do my best!

I think if your other half has learnt how to remove the ticks properly, you have the correct ‘tools’ and that is what you have been advised to do, then it is probably ok. My feeling is that it is normal for hogs to have a few ticks and I wouldn’t want to disturb a hog every time I saw a few ticks, but if there were a lot of them, that’s different. It’s really down to considering the number of ticks in relation to the size of hog, etc.

You may find that the experts make it look easy. It’s not always easy to keep a hedgehog unrolled long enough to remove ticks and can be quite stressful for them. Personally, I don’t agree with picking wild hogs up regularly and checking them for ticks, etc. It could lead to them becoming too habituated to humans and other predators and my view is that they are better off having a healthy respect for humans. Sadly not all of us are hedgehog lovers. But, if the ticks do need removing and you know how to do it properly, it would be less stressful for the hog for you to do it than for it to be kept in captivity for a day to take it elsewhere.

The other thing is, that if the hog has been staying in your box and he has vacated for a while (which they often do) it would probably be a good idea (if you are certain the box is empty) to clean it out with boiling water to kill any parasite eggs which are almost bound to be in there. Otherwise the cycle just starts up again and possibly with another hog.

Hope that helps.

Hedgehog