Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales The X Files Cont'd… Reply To: The X Files Cont'd…

Hi Nic, DwarfHog,

I had wondered whether our lot had suddenly gone off their favourite biscuits, so last night I put out some wet Spikes. The ants, slugs and blue bottles thought that all their birthdays had come at once, but unsurprisingly the hogs turned their noses up. The ‘I love Hedgehogs’ muesli sounds like a winner; I think I may have seen it in the shopping, err garden centre, so I might just give it a go. I had started warming to the new enterprise, despite it being laid out like Ikea, forcing you to walk past the houseplants, the home wares, the clothes, the food hall and the restaurants etc, etc, before you come across anything remotely to do with gardening, It does cater for all manner of wildlife. It has an entire row dedicated to hedgehogs, several for birds and even homes for frogs. I was even more impressed by a whole row of natural, organic slug repellents. Feeling a bit happier about the whole operation, I started making my way over to the tills, only to be confronted with a huge display of discounted toxic slug pellets!!! What a great idea, encourage people to attract wildlife into their gardens and then provide them with the means with which to poison them all at a discounted price…Arghhhh! 🙁

Sorry to hear about your small graffitied hog Nic, I have stopped trying to identify ours anymore, that way I don’t worry too much if they go AWOL. Unless it’s done as part of a proper scientific study, or to keep an eye on newly released rescue hogs, I really don’t see the point. I was horrified the other day when I came across a wildlife website that was suggesting shaving their spines in places as well as marking them with paint…what on earth are they thinking!!!

Glad that Digger is still around, I do wish Nagini would put in an appearance, but it’s been over a month now so I am starting to fear the worst. 🙁

Hedgehog