Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Is it too hot to fight? Reply To: Is it too hot to fight?

Nic

Hi Jeanette

I feed the hogs on a patio within yards of the house. I leave the outside light on whilst I am up to watch them. I watch from inside the house with binoculars (inside lights off, or at least dimmed – outside on), so they don’t know I’m there. (Ideally you want binoculars that will focus fairly close, for this). There is ‘cover’ within 1 to 3 yards in each direction. The feeding area is at the opposite end of the garden to where the gate is, so it gives them the opportunity of doing a bit of foraging on the way to and from the feeding area. Although, the occasional more timid ones do approach through the flower beds, most just head straight down the path! Always makes me laugh! They seem perfectly happy with this arrangement.

Sometimes they head straight back down the path after feeding, but other times rummage around in the borders. Recently (even before the hot weather) I have started to leave longer patches in my ‘lawn’ and since then the hogs have been spending a lot more time foraging there as well. The same hog can revisit the feeding area several times within a few hours.

If you’re going to change the feeding location, I would move it gradually, and/or start putting some in your new chosen location as well.

You will find there is always something new to learn about hogs and before you know it, your life will be completely taken over by them!

Hedgehog